Razor burn is a common problem faced by most of the men and women. It’s a regular task to remove unwanted hair that is present on your body. The easiest, quickest and cost-effective method for hair removal is razor shave.
Though it saves your time and money, it has one disadvantage too. It often causes razon burn after shaving the hair with razor. Other methods to remove unwanted hair are electrolysis, plucking, waxing, laser removal, and chemical depilatories. You can also use chemical free beauty products like natural hair removing cream or organic skin care products for hair removal rather than using razor. Or else you can use essential oils like lavender essential oil, peppermint essential oil and tea tree essential oil to prevent and control of razor burn. You can get organic body care products online from Owlpure site, which is one of the best organic beauty products providers as well as top essential oils manufacturers in India. In winter season, is it hard to treat razor burns, so it is better to keep your skin moisturized during these days. So, you can make best DIY winter moisturizer with essential oils, that also helpful in controlling the pain of Razor burns.
What is Razor Burn?
Razor burn or razor rash is a type of temporary skin irritation that occurs after shaving. About 60-70% of people come across this razor burns after shaving the unwanted hair. It can affect any part of your body like face, legs, underarms, and pubic area.
Razor burns occur on any type of skin, but people with sensitive skin should take preventive measures. Though this razor burns may be cleared within few days, you are suggested to follow the right steps of shaving. If you have sensitive skin, you can use pre-shave essential oils so that it can moisturize the skin cells and replace the lipids. The essential oils act as a lubricant, make the shave smooth and keep the razor from skipping or catching. Essential oils like peppermint essential oil have a cooling effect on the skin while tea tree essential oil, lavender essential oil and extra virgin coconut oil can be added as an antiseptic in case you cut yourself. But before using any essential oils, do patch test to make sure you don’t have any allergic reaction to it.
Some signs and symptoms of razor burns are: -,
- Burning sensation
- Small red bumps
These symptoms make you feel uncomfortable. There are some natural medications to prevent this razor burns and also allows you to get rid of this type of rashes. To sooth the rashes you can apply aloe vera gel or lavender essential oil or extra virgin coconut oil on the rashes.
Why Do We Get Razor Burns?
Razor burns are mainly occurred due to poor shaving techniques. It causes skin irritation and makes you discomfort with the daily routines for some couple of days.
There are some reasons that we do get razor burns. Let’s discover some of them.
However, when you use the best razor, you may get a clean shave within one simple stroke. But when you use a dull or cheap razor, you won’t be able to remove the unwanted hair effectively. It may take 3 to 4 strokes which stresses your skin and results into one of the harsh treatments.
These extra strokes cause micro abrasions which makes your skin infected or irritates. This normally develops razor burn which results to form rashes and bumps.
When you shave the unwanted hair with the unhygienic razor, you invite bacteria from that dirty blade onto your skin. This bacteria causes skin irritation and leads razor burns.
While shaving your hair, it is essential to exfoliate the skin by using exfoliating body scrub to slough off dry skin, which then can’t cause unnecessary friction on your skin. After exfoliating, apply shaving cream or moisturizing soap to soften the hair. This results into ineffective results and may also lead to razor burns.
When you drag the razor against the grain, it roughly pulls your hair. This causes sensitive red patches on the skin which leads to irritation. Apply some drops of lavender essential oil to avoid skin irritation.
Tips to Prevent Razor Burns?
It’s always better that you take some precautions before shaving and prevent razor burns. You just need to develop some good shaving habits in order to prevent this type of burns or rashes.
There are some other tips that helps you in the prevention of razor burns.
- After shower, hair remains soft for some time. So, try to shave the unwanted hair after having a shower.
- Try to apply some lubrication lotions or creams else any gel or essential oils before shaving.
- Wash your face or other parts of the body before shaving to avoid bacteria or infection due to the dirt and debris that gets occupied on the skin.
- For an even distribution of shaving cream or gel, practice of applying it by shaving brush than by hand.
- Use a high quality, clean, and sharp razor blade.
- Do not shave the unwanted hair too fast as it causes cuts or rashes on your skin.
- Try to rinse the blade after some strokes.
- After the shave, clean and dry the shaving tools to reduce the risk of bacterial growth.
- After shaving, clean your skin with the cold water. Then, apply a gentle lotion, moisturizer or gel. Do not use products that contain fragrances, colors, alcohol, and other skin irritants.
- Do not wear tight clothing on the shaving area as it irritates freshly shaved skin.
Jojoba Oil and Argan Oil as Pre-Shave Lotion: - These oils moisturize your skin effectively and specially used for healing and conditioning. Jojoba oil or Moroccan argan oil, when applied on the face, it softens the stubble and benefits you with the smooth and clean shave.
It forms a greasy layer on the skin which protects your skin razor rashes. People with the dry skin should use this pre-shave lotion to moisturize the skin before shaving.
How to Use?
- Wash your face or other parts of your thoroughly before shaving.
- Apply the pre-shave lotion i.e. Moroccan argan oil and jojoba oil on the place where you want to remove unwanted hair and leave it for 5-10 minutes.
- Apply a shaving gel and form a lather.
- Shave the hair with the new and quality razor.
- After shaving, clean the shaved area or skin and apply a moisturizer.
How to Treat Razor Burns?
Razor burn gets cured by itself within some days. However, there are some ways to treat razor burn and get rid of those as soon as possible.
When you mix all the three ingredients or any of the two ingredients like Shea Butter and peppermint essential oil with the carrier oil like jojoba oil or extra virgin coconut oil, razor burns can be cured as early as possible.
So, apply the mixture on the shaved area to remove razor burns or bumps.
If you again shave or touch the affected area before healing, it increases the risk of inflammation, infection, and irritation.
Some of the natural astringents include:
- Chilled and brewed black tea.
- Witch hazel extract.
- Apple cider vinegar.
- Tea tree essential oil (few drops) and water.
You can apply these natural astringents directly on the shaved area.
You can squeeze the aloe vera gel from the plant and apply it on cuts, scrapes, and burns. Due to its soothing properties, it provides a healing effect in the faster way possible.
- Baking Soda: - Baking Soda which is also known as sodium bicarbonate is a natural salt. It is mainly used in baking and has various healing properties. It is used as one of the natural treatments to cure razor burns or razor bumps.
How to Use?
- Take a one cup of water in a small bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of sodium bicarbonate or baking soda in it.
- Dip a cotton pad and apply it on the affected area.
- Once it gets dried, rinse it off with the water.
- Apply it two times in a day to get quick results.
You can also add 1 cup of baking soda in a bath tub containing lukewarm water.
Wring off the excess water from it and place the cloth on the skin or affected area. You can compress the wet cloth as often as you need.
Some of the most popular natural oils are:
- Extra virgin Coconut Oil.
- Sweet Almond Oil.
- Avocado Oil.
- Olive Oil.
You can also apply other emollients on the dry skin that includes natural lotion and natural moisturizers. Make sure that you do not apply any skin care products that consists alcohol. Because it is known as skin irritant and may lead to harmful effects.
Oatmeal Bath: - It includes antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that helps in treating various skin issues. This natural remedy works very effectively on razor burns. You can add an oatmeal-based bath product, regular or colloidal oatmeal in a tub of lukewarm water. You can also add some drops of essential oils like tea tree essential oil and lavender essential oil with the oatmeal, which gives you relief from the razor burns especially on the legs or pubic area.